Make this adorable stuffed sea turtle with my free sewing pattern. This plush sea turtle sewing pattern was created from my son’s Baby Sea Turtle Halloween Costume and turned into a huggable new friend for him.
I always knew that I would convert his sea turtle costume into a stuffed animal. For the past couple of years he would still wear the costume around the house until he finally out grew it. That’s when I knew it was time to make it into a plush softie to add to his ever growing collection.
So I’ve not only created a free sewing pattern to use this stuffed sea turtle but also for the baby sea turtle costume (keep scrolling to see how to convert the costume).
Stuffed Sea Turtle Sewing Pattern
This stuffed sea turtle is a great sewing project for beginner or advanced sewists. The stuffed sea turtle pattern works best with fleece fabric and is intended to have exposed seams. The pattern could be adapted for other fabrics and may need additional seam allowance added.
- Stuffed Sea Turtle Sewing Pattern (download below)
- 2 yards green fleece fabric for base
- 1 yard fleece fabric for scales
- black felt scrap
- white felt scrap
- basic sewing supplies
Download the Free Plush Pattern
Print at 100%.Click here to download
Print, assemble, and cut out the pattern pieces. *The body portion is for the baby sea turtle costume and not needed for the softie.
Trace the pattern pieces onto the fabric and cut out. If your fleece fabric has a front/back, cut 2 layers at a time with wrong sides facing.
You will have the following pieces:
- 2 shell pieces (1 reverse)
- 4 front fin pieces (2 reverse)
- 4 back fin pieces (2 reverse)
- 2 tail pieces (1 reverse)
- 2 head pieces (1 reverse)
- 2 sets front fin scales (1 reverse)
- 2 sets back fin scales (1 reverse)
- 2 sets head scales (1 reverse)
- 1 set of shell scales
- 2 sets of eye pieces (felt fabric)
Make the turtle fins
On one piece of each of the fins, layout and sew the fin scales into place. I’ve included a diagram on the pattern pieces to help with the placement.
Then with wrong sides facing, sew 2 fin pieces together leaving the straight edge open. Lightly stuff the fin and sew the open edge closed. Repeat for the 2 front fins and 2 back fins. Set aside.
Make the turtle tail
With wrong sides facing sew along the long edges fo the tail pieces leaving the short edge open. Lightly stuff the tail then sew the short edge closed. Set aside.
Make the turtle head
On both pieces of the head, layout and sew the eye pieces and scales in place. Then with wrong sides facing, sew the head pieces together around the perimeter leaving the straight edge open for stuffing. Fill the head with poly-fil. Fold the straight edge of the head flat in the opposite direction of the first seam. The neck will then sit flat against the bottom of the shell.
Make the top turtle shell
On one piece of the shell base, layout and sew the shell scales into place. This is now the upper shell.
Attach the fins, head, and tail to the turtle shell belly
Pin the tail in place onto the shell belly piece. Sew across the short end of the tail twice for extra hold. Repeat with the fins and then head.
Complete the turtle shell
With the wrong sides of the shell facing, pin and sew around the perimeter of the shell making sure to leave an opening for stuffing. Stuff the shell with poly-fil. Sew the opening closed.
Finalize the turtle head
Hand stitch the top edge of the turtle neck and head to the shell to keep the head from flopping down.
Changing the Baby Sea Turtle Costume into a Stuffed Sea Turtle
If you’re converting the Baby Sea Turtle Costume into a stuffed sea turtle softie. Here are the steps to take:
- Remove the velcro from the turtle shell and the elastic bands from the front fins.
- Open the shell and add additional stuffing to the shell.
- Carefully remove the fins from the shell and open the straight edges. Lightly stuff the fins with stuffing, they should still be flimsy but have some dimension to them. Hand stitch the fins back onto the shell.
- My original sea turtle costume did not have a tail, if you didn’t have one on your costume either, add one now.
- Download the stuffed sea turtle pattern above and print the turtle head pattern (page 8 only). Follow the instructions above to make the head. Hand stitch the head onto the shell.
I hope you have a little one that can enjoy this stuffed sea turtle as much as mine does. :)
Send me links or pics of your final sea turtle, I’d love to see them and feature them here!