‘Twas the night before Christmas and we were one stocking short…
While that is a true story, what really happened is my BFF hooked me up with a pile of maternity clothes. This sweater is so cute and in my favorite color. Problem was that it was too itchy on my skin. BUT I loved the look so much.
As Christmas was quickly approaching and “Santa” was filling the stockings with care, I came up one stocking short. Sure I could’ve run out and gotten a stocking from pretty much anywhere this time of year but I remembered that long purple sweater. So I refashioned it into a Christmas stocking.
Sweater Refashion to Christmas Stocking
You can turn just about any sweater into a Christmas stocking.
Materials & Tools
- fabric for lining (I used a soft, minky fabric)
- Christmas Stocking pattern (like this free Classic Christmas Stocking Pattern from Arkathwyn Designs)
- sewing machine
- Download and print out the Christmas Stocking pattern. I printed mine at 120% for a slightly larger stocking. Cut out pattern and tape pieces together.
- Cut out two stocking pieces from the lining fabric leaving extra fabric at the top to fold over to the outside.
- With right sides facing, sew lining pieces together leaving the top open. If needed, fold over and hem the open end. Set aside.
- Turn the sweater inside-out and cut out two stocking pieces at one time. TIP: Use the bottom of the sweater as the top of your stocking, this way your will not need to finish this edge. Pin pieces together being careful not to unravel the cut sweater edges. With a straight stitch and small stitch length, sew stocking pieces together leaving top open. If needed, finish edges with a zig-zag or overlock stitch.
- Turn sweater stocking right-side out. Stuff the inner lining inside. Fold over extra lining fabric to the outside. Pin the inner and outer layers together and sew.
- Cut extra lining fabric to create a loop to hang from, sew in place.
The stockings are hung with care… so I’ll just enjoy this fresh batch of Peppermint Bark.
Merry Christmas from our family to yours! :)